Michno's Cafe was first opened in Southwest Detroit in 1939 on St. Stephen & Central street by John Michno. When two of John's sons; Tony & Walter were old enough, they started helping out with the family business by bartending. When World War II began, both Walter (24) & underage Tony (17) were entered into the Army. Eventually both sons made it home, and got right back to working in the family business. Tony & Walter would go on to take over running the family bar operations. They continued to run the bar located in Southwest Detroit until 1991.
In 1989, Tony's oldest son Ron Michno continued on the family business and opened up another Michno's Cafe in Redford Township on Five Mile and Beech Daly. When Tony & Walter finally retired from the business in 1991 and sold off the Michno's in Detroit, they actually worked at the Redford location for a few years (they just couldn't get out of the business they loved as young kids). Today, Michno's Cafe still stands proudly representing our history and continuing on traditions that were made over 72 years ago.